NON Immigrant Visas.  A US non immigrant visa lets an individual enter the US on a temporary visa for work, study, or pleasure.

To visit the United States on a temporary basis, a foreign national will need a non-immigrant visa. These types of visas are issued for many purposes, such as for tourists, students, individuals needing medical treatment, certain types of temporary work in this country, and more.  Many types of non-immigrant visas exist under U.S. immigration law. The purpose of your travel to the U.S.(or change of status once in the United States on another Non-Immigrant Visa) will dictate what type you should apply for. Information about the type of non-immigrant visa you need will be helpful when you apply at a U.S. Embassy or Consul in your country or here in the United States. Certain visas, such as those involving temporary employment, will require labor certification from the U.S. Department of Labor and / or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services approval of certain forms, filed by your U.S. employer.

Types of Non-Immigrant Visas

Examples of non-immigrant visa categories include (but are not limited to):

  • Business visitors
  • Au pairs, nannies, and domestic employees
  • Exchange visitors
  • Athletes, artists, and entertainers
  • Visitors for medical treatment
  • International organization employees, such as NATO
  • NAFTA professional workers
  • Students
  • Temporary workers
  • Tourists
  • Religious workers
  • Those involved in specialty occupations with specialized knowledge